Exploring Brussels: A Must-Visit Destination and Why!
Introduction to Brussels
Brussels, the capital of Belgium and the European Union, is one of the most diverse and interesting cities in Europe. It is small but packed with stunning architecture, fascinating museums, and lively nightlife. It is a great city to visit both for a weekend break and longer stay.
The city is home to both the national government and the European Union, and its importance to the continent is evident in its mix of cultures and languages. The population is predominantly Flemish, but French and German are also spoken. This makes Brussels a vibrant and cosmopolitan city, which is reflected in its buildings, attractions and cuisine.
The city centre is a great place to start your exploration of Brussels, with its grand architecture and numerous parks. The Grand Place is a popular spot for visitors, with its impressive Town Hall and Guildhalls as well as the surrounding cafes, restaurants and shops. The Royal Palace is another must-see, and the city’s many museums are well worth a visit.
Reasons why to visit Brussels
If you are looking for a city break in Europe, Brussels should be at the top of your list. Here are a few reasons why:
- World-class attractions: Brussels has some of the most iconic attractions in Europe, such as the Atomium, the Royal Palace, and Manneken Pis. There are also plenty of museums, galleries, and other cultural attractions.
- Delicious food: Brussels is renowned for its food, with a wide range of international and local cuisine. There are plenty of Michelin-starred restaurants as well as more traditional pubs and cafes.
- Shopping: Brussels is a great destination for shopping, with high-end boutiques, designer stores and traditional markets selling everything from antiques to souvenirs.
- Festivals: Brussels is alive with festivals throughout the year, from music festivals to beer festivals and food festivals.
- Nightlife: Brussels has an exciting nightlife scene, with plenty of clubs, bars, and pubs to keep you entertained.
- Affordable: Brussels is one of the most affordable cities in Europe, with plenty of budget-friendly accommodation and attractions.
- Accessible: Brussels is well-connected by air, road, and rail, making it easy to get to from other parts of Europe.
Must-see attractions in Brussels
Brussels has so much to offer its visitors, so here are a few of the must-see attractions in the city:
- Grand Place: The Grand Place is the main square in Brussels and one of the most beautiful squares in Europe. It is surrounded by stunning guildhalls, the Town Hall and the King’s House.
- Atomium: The Atomium is the iconic structure in Brussels, and a must-see for any visitor. It was built for the World Fair in 1958 and stands at an impressive 102 metres tall.
- Royal Palace: The Royal Palace of Brussels is the official residence of the Belgian Royal Family, and it’s open for visitors for part of the year.
- Manneken Pis: Manneken Pis is probably the most famous statue in Brussels. It is a small bronze fountain of a young boy peeing, and it is a symbol of the city’s sense of humour.
- The Magritte Museum: The Magritte Museum is dedicated to the works of surrealist artist René Magritte. It’s a must-see for art lovers.
- Brussels Town Hall: The Town Hall of Brussels is an impressive building located in the Grand Place. It is an example of the Flemish Gothic style of architecture.
The best places to stay in Brussels
There are plenty of great places to stay in Brussels, ranging from budget hostels to luxury hotels. Here are a few suggestions:
- Hotel Bloom: This boutique hotel is located in the trendy Louise district and offers a range of spacious and modern rooms.
- Pantone Hotel: This unique hotel is perfect for design lovers, with each room designed in a different Pantone colour.
- Thon Hotel EU: This hotel is located close to the European Parliament and offers modern and comfortable rooms.
THE BEST RESTAURANTS IN BRUSSELS
Brussels is known for its excellent restaurants, so here are a few of the best:
- Le Cirio: This Michelin-starred restaurant serves modern French and Belgian cuisine in a chic and elegant setting.
- Sea Grill: Sea Grill is a seafood restaurant located in the centre of Brussels. It offers a range of seafood dishes in a relaxed and elegant atmosphere.
- Bon Bon: Bon Bon is a contemporary Belgian restaurant located in the trendy Louise district. It serves traditional Belgian dishes with a modern twist.
- La Truffe Noire: La Truffe Noire is a chic restaurant that specialises in truffle dishes. It is a great choice for a romantic dinner.
- La Paix: La Paix is a traditional Belgian restaurant located in the Grand Place. It serves classic Belgian dishes such as mussels and frites.
Shopping in Brussels
Brussels is a great destination for shopping, with plenty of shops and boutiques to explore. Here are a few of the best places to shop in Brussels:
- Rue Neuve: Rue Neuve is the main shopping street in Brussels and it is lined with high-end boutiques and designer stores.
- Market Hall: The Market Hall is located in the centre of Brussels and is a great place for souvenirs and Belgian products.
- Sablon: The Sablon district is known for its antiques shops and art galleries. It is the perfect place for a spot of window shopping.
- City 2: City 2 is a large shopping mall located in the centre of Brussels. It offers a wide range of shops and restaurants.
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert: The Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert is a beautiful shopping arcade with plenty of shops and cafes.
Planning your trip to Brussels
Planning a trip to Brussels can be a bit overwhelming, so here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Decide when to visit: Brussels is a great city to visit all year round, but if you want to experience the city’s festivals then summer is the best time to go.
- Work out your budget: Brussels is an affordable city, but it’s always a good idea to work out your budget before you go.
- Book your accommodation: Brussels has a wide range of accommodation to suit all budgets, so make sure to book your accommodation in advance.
- Research attractions: Brussels has so many attractions to choose from, so take some time to research the attractions you want to visit.
- Plan your activities: Brussels has something for everyone, so make sure to plan your activities before you go.
- Pack the essentials: Make sure to pack the essentials for your trip, such as a map, comfortable walking shoes, and a camera.
Transportation in Brussels
Getting around Brussels is easy, thanks to its well-developed public transport system. Here are a few tips on how to get around:
- Metro: Brussels has a comprehensive metro system with four lines. It is the most convenient way to get around the city.
- Buses: There are also plenty of buses in Brussels, which are a great way to get around if you don’t want to use the metro.
- Trams: Trams are a popular way to get around the city. There are plenty of trams running throughout the day.
- Taxis: Taxis are also a good option for getting around, and they are reasonably priced.
- Cycling: Brussels is a great city for cycling, with plenty of bike lanes and paths. It is a great way to explore the city.
Nightlife in Brussels
Brussels has a vibrant nightlife scene, with plenty of clubs, bars, and pubs to keep you entertained. Here are a few of the best places to go at night:
- Delirium: Delirium is one of the most popular bars in Brussels and it is known for its wide selection of beers.
- Café Belga: Café Belga is a trendy bar located in the Louise district. It serves creative cocktails in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Le Jardin: Le Jardin is the perfect spot for a lively night out. It has a great selection of drinks and a lively atmosphere.
- Verso: Verso is a popular club in Brussels and it is known for its great music and lively atmosphere.
- Jazz Station: Jazz Station is a great spot for live music and a relaxed atmosphere. It is a great place to end the night.
Brussels is an exciting and vibrant city, and it is the perfect destination for a weekend break or longer stay. It has something for everyone, from world-class attractions to delicious food and lively nightlife. Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or an action-packed holiday, Brussels has it all. So why not plan your trip to Brussels and start exploring!